I love a good burger. I don’t discriminate either. I like beef, turkey, lamb and even the occasional veggie. Add some fries and you have a very happy camper. I discovered using an English muffin as a bun when I’ve made burgers at home and think it is the perfect ratio of bread to meat and just the right size. My nanny found the recipe for these turkey and Portobello mushrooms and made a few months back. She got little mini challah (Holla! if you’re watching RHONY, you’ll get me) buns and made mini burgers for Oliver. Perfect! I served last night with Alexia Yukon gold fries and roasted kale.
Perfect Turkey Burgers courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
- 1 large portobello mushroom cap
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped shallot
- 3 tablespoons lightly packed fresh parsley
- 1 1/4 pounds 85% to 93% lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 thin slices manchego or white cheddar cheese
- 4 English muffins, split
- Dijon mustard, mayonnaise and sliced avocado, for topping
- Use a spoon to scrape out the gills from the underside of the mushroom cap. Cut the cap into 1-inch pieces and transfer to a food processor. Add the shallot and parsley and pulse until chopped.
- Transfer the mushroom mixture to a large bowl. Add the turkey, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; gently mix with your hands until just combined. Divide into 4 balls, then lightly press into 4-inch-wide, 1-inch-thick patties (you can turn 1 patty into 2 minis for kids). Put on a large plate, cover and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Although the recipe calls for grilling, I pan fried over medium, about 4 minutes on one side, flipping for another 4 minutes, then flipping once more and adding cheese until cooked through, about 4 more minutes (less for the mini patties).
- Toast the English muffins and Challah buns in the toaster, then spread with mustard and mayonnaise. Serve the patties on the English muffins; top with avocado.